-->

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Perspectives - Theirs, Yours, and How to Keep Them Relevant

I Wonder How It Felt….

When I was in elementary Sunday school, we would sing, “I Wonder How It Felt.”*  The lyrics refer to Bible stories that were familiar to me, even as a child.

I wonder how it felt to wake up in the belly of a whale.
I wonder how it felt to spend the night with Paul and Silas in the jail.
I wonder how it felt to meet big Goliath in the field.

The list goes on…, but the chorus is really what I want you to think about today.  The chorus, (paraphrased) I am just a child, my life is here before me, I just cannot wait to see what God has for me, and trusting Him in the wait to see what life will be for me.

You may be asking yourself…Why am I reading this?  Or thinking, I don’t have time for nonsense!  But, HOLD ON…Now that you know the background, stay with me for a couple more minutes.

The other day, this song unexpectedly popped into my head.  At first, I thought that there was absolutely no reason for me to think of this song.  Then, I realized that there was most definitely a reason.  As our office began to be busier and busier, I was so busy seeing student after student that I failed to ‘wonder how it felt’ to be that student.

Have you ever wondered how it feels to be a student sitting across the desk from you?
Have you ever wondered how it feels to wonder whom, or where, your parents are?
Have you ever wondered what that student has seen that you could not begin to imagine?
Have you ever wondered how it feels to have no running water, or indoor toilet?
Have you ever wondered how it feels to go hungry? **

I grew up in rural Alabama. Most of the kids at my school thought my family was rich.  We were low middle class at best, but we were rich in love.  I never had to worry that I would not have running water (well, except for that big snowstorm and frozen pipes).  I never had to worry about having parents that loved me unconditionally.  I never had to worry about leaving my house to go to an outhouse.  Believe it or not, in the 80s and 90s I had friends that used a well for water, and an outhouse. 

I say all of this to say:  the chair that is currently sitting empty in your office is filled with the ‘feels and felts’ of many students.


  
The question is – When a student leaves your office, does s/he know that s/he
     is a student and life is just before her/him?
     can put her/his trust in you, self, and the institution?
     can’t wait to walk across that stage with degree in hand, knowing that success knows no bounds?

Today, I challenge you to ‘wonder how it feels’ to be the people that encounter you.  Remind them, and yourself:

“If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!”

“Thinking” or “The Man Who Thinks He Can” by Walter Wintle


*I did not recall who wrote this song, so I ‘Googled’ it.  “I Wonder How it Felt” by the Gaither Vocal Band. 
I have never heard them actually sing this song.  My mom would just play this on the piano out of her children’s book.

**During the SASFAA Conference, the 2019 SASFAA Charities are Mimi’s Pantry, Coastal Carolina University Food Pantry, and the Horry-Georgetown Technical College Food Pantry, let’s all come together to support these food pantries so that others don’t have to know how it feels to go hungry. https://www.sasfaa.org/charity2019


Stephanie Miller
sdmiller@getfasolutions.com
2018-19 AASFAA President

Financial Freedom….

What defines financial freedom to you?

Just in the past few weeks I have had several people tell me that my goal of having financial freedom isn’t realistic.  They made it clear that I will never achieve the goal of financial freedom.  How dare someone define my ideal of financial freedom? 

Everyone’s freedom looks different. What I define as financial freedom for myself may not be freedom to a millionaire, or a financially stable individual. 

This year, instead of looking to others to define your freedom...simply look in the mirror and decide what will free you of financial worry.

Simply ask yourself:

Am I more financially free today than yesterday?
Are there things in my budget that I can modify to bring me closer to freedom?


Remember: YOUR FREEDOM. Not theirs.

No matter how slow your start to financial freedom, there is always a point when you realize that it is your own idea of financial freedom. You must be able to succeed in life on your own. Therefore, do not look at other individuals' financial goals. Your financial goals must be in line with your personal income, budget, and life goals.


Their financial success is NOT your freedom. 
Their freedom is NOT your financial success.

Keep your eye on the prize this New Year... and focus on having the right mindset to pursue financial freedom and all of your audacious goals.


It’s like Robert Kiyosaki expresses, “Financial freedom is a mental, emotional and educational process.”

Stay motivated, stay positive and align your circle with people seeking similar freedom.  Financial freedom is a mental, emotional and educational process.

I wish you all the best for 2019!

Amber Jones Ofosu
aofosu@deltastate.edu
2018-19 Global Issues Committee

No comments: