Week of January 17, 2017
· This week, the U.S. House of Representatives is in recess in commemoration of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. The U.S. Senate is in session for legislative business, but will not consider student financial aid-related legislation. The chamber is expected to consider and approve a number of nominations for Cabinet secretaries beginning on Friday afternoon.
· Today at 10:00 a.m., the Brookings Institution hosted an event titled, “The Impact of Fiscal Policy on Monetary Policy: A Conversation with Fed Governor Lael Brainard,” to discuss the implications of changes in fiscal policy for monetary policy. Participants included: Louise Sheiner, Senior Fellow – Economic Studies, Policy Director, Brookings’ Hutchins Center on Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Donald Kohn, Robert S. Kerr Senior Fellow in Economic Studies, Brookings Institution; and The Honorable Lael Brainard, Member of the Board of Governors, Federal Reserve System.
· Today at 5:00 p.m., the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee holds a confirmation hearing on the nomination of Betsy DeVos to serve as the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education. The hearing will be shown live on the Committee’s website.
· On Wednesday at 2:00 p.m., the Federal Reserve releases its Beige Book. Eight times a year, the Fed releases its Beige Book, a summary of current economic conditions for the 12 Federal Reserve Districts based on anecdotal information gathered through reports from Bank and Branch Directors and interviews with key business contacts, economists, market experts, and other sources.
· On Wednesday at 3:00 p.m., Federal Reserve Board of Governors Chair Janet Yellen gives a speech titled, “The Goals of Monetary Policy and How We Pursue Them” at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, CA.
· On Thursday at 8:00 p.m., Federal Reserve Board of Governors Chair Janet Yellen gives a speech titled, “The Economic Outlook and the Conduct of Monetary Policy,” at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research in San Francisco, CA.
· On Friday at 12:00 p.m., Donald J. Trump will be sworn in as the 45th President of the United States.
This information is shared by SASFAA's Legislative Affairs' Committee and NCHER.