U. S. House of Representatives Bills Reintroduced
The Simplify the Application for Student Aid Act (HR 3177)
- Amends the need analysis section to require the use of prior, prior year for family income.
- Requires sharing FAFSA income data collected by the IRS for the online form.
The Strengthening Transparency in Higher Education Act (HR 3178)
- Replaces the USDE College Navigator with a new College Dashboard for full-time undergraduate students.
- Eliminates current college affordability and transparency lists, the state higher education spending chart and several other required reporting elements.
The Empowering Students Through Enhanced Financial Counseling Act (HR 3179)
- Promotes financial literacy through enhanced counseling for all federal financial aid recipients.
- Requires annual in-person or online entrance counseling for loans.
- Creates new Pell Grant counseling provisions.
The Flexible Pell Grant for 21st Century Students Act (HR 3180)
- Expands flexibility to use Pell Grants year round.
- Maintains the lifetime Pell Grant award.
- Removes previous complexity.
Submitted by: Ron Gambill, Chair, SASFAA Legislative Relations Committee